Monday, May 25, 2009

Nontraditional

We have enjoyed a very lovely and quiet Memorial Day this year. I think since we have been on the road so frequently the holiday actually snuck up on us and was here before we could make any plans to get out of town again. Since we all three just reunited at home again on Thursday night, I think the long relaxing weekend was just what we needed.

Ben and Belle started the day at the pool bright and early. After a quick, and sweaty, jog I met them there and we enjoyed the water and sun until nap time. We decided to be "true" San Antonians and spent the afternoon at Brackenridge Park. We had a picnic near the river and rode the train around the park. Afterwards, we made a brief stop at the Quarry for a little shopping. (A holiday would just not be complete with out it!)

Memorial Day reminds me of baseball double-headers and visiting the cemetery so our quiet weekend was very nontraditional and pretty unpatriotic. We are so grateful for those who have and continue to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces and will remember them in our prayers this evening. Because of their and their families sacrifices, we can enjoy a sunny day as a family playing at the park and creating memories.

On a side note, Belle has had a set of "dirty dogs" that she adores playing in the bathtub with. Lately, they have been getting pretty sad and we mentioned to her that it was probably time to get rid of them. She could not bare to throw them away so she suggested we send them back to the factory so they could get cleaned up and then we could buy them again, all shiny and new. She asked me for a box and some tape and she packaged them up carefully all by herself. She wrote a note and placed it inside and then literally kissed and kissed the box telling them (Charky, Spot, Clifford and Brown Dog) not to worry and she would miss them so! Off they go to the "factory!"

6 comments:

Jaimie said...

It sounds like you guys had a great weekend together. A picnic at the park sounds like so much fun. We did way too much yard work here. Yuck! I love the story of Belle packaging up her toys to be sent back to the factory to be cleaned.... so you can rebuy them again. How cute! See you two tomorrow!

Deniene said...

Ok that is the sweetest thing I've encounter all day, what a cutie!!!!

Misty said...

LOVE LOVE the back to the factory idea! What a doll!

Tiffany said...

That sounds like a fabulous weekend to me.

Belle is so stinking cute! She is such a sweetheart.

Tara said...

That seriously makes me cry. How could someone love stuffed animals so much! You BETTER buy them again or I will be upset for breaking her heart! =-)

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

I love that kid!! What a smartie!! What a nice way to spend a day together! I miss you!