
I enlisted Ben's help for the High Adventure activity and long before the sun came up we took off with 19 Young Women ages 14-15 from the Stake for Silsbee, TX to canoe and camp. I had no idea what I was doing but somehow I pulled it off. We canoed about 3.5 miles on a paddling trail and then set up camp at Lake Houston for the night. We cooked dinner over a fire, shot bow and arrows, had a water balloon fight, survived with only a port-a-potty, practiced a song we would sing for the Stake President and learned first-aid. (Yes, I was the first aid instructor. See! What?)

36 hours later it was finally time to put the High Adventure behind us and we travelled the short distance to Camp Holy Wild where we were met by the rest of the YW campers from the Stake. What a relief I felt once we were in other chaperone's grasp and what an accomplishment as well.
The next several days I spent my time passing off certifications, singing songs, hiking, swimming, doing skits, reading scriptures and having a fun enough time with the other Stake leaders and Young Women. Several times I thought about my girls at home with their dad and which girls I hoped they would be like when they were the ripe old age of 12. I am not gonna lie, I was glad when the week was over and I was finally able to return home and take a nice warm shower alone, but I tried to be the type of leader I hope my girls will have someday and the love-notes I received after from some of the Young Women make me believe I did an OK job.
No comments:
Post a Comment