Thursday, December 27, 2012

Silent Night, Holy Night

For some reason Christmas seemed to sneak up on me this year.  I knew it would be December 25th just like every other year and I had my Christmas cards printed by Thanksgiving, but for some reason I just never felt ready this year...and now it is over and done.


Our trip to Dallas helped us get into the festive spirit and after a good nights rest it was time for Christmas Eve.  We had a fun day of tennis and bike rides outside since the weather was so nice and enjoyed a Christmas Eve pajama party that evening with my folks and Tara.  We ate our traditional "Holiday Nachos" as well as little smokies, shrimp, cheeseballs and lots of sweets.  Soon it was time to read our On This Special Night book and get snuggled in our bed for a long winter's nap.
Sugar plums must have been dancing in the girls heads because we didn't hear a peep from them until almost 7:00am.  We were all surprised with Santa's generous gifts and found a few crumbs and his leftover lime he had eaten.  (Isabelle left him a sugar cookie and lime??  I guess to go with his Diet Coke?)  The highlights of this year's gifts were the American Girl Dolls that the girls received, a Lego table and lots of legos, a Houston Zoo Membership and Olivia's red sparkly Dorthy shoes.  Grammie, Grandpa and Tara came over again to see all of our loot and to play with some of our new toys and before we knew it the day was drawing near and it was time for a yummy Christmas dinner made by Grammie.

The girls were thrilled and exhausted after a magical Christmas day and once again we found ourselves tucked into our beds and this time being grateful for all that we have been blessed with.  I am not sure what I could have done differently this year to be more "prepared" or to feel more of the "Christmas spirit" but the holidays came and went regardless of my feelings.  I am so grateful for the Savior and for Mary's brave soul. Now that I am a mother I can't help but feel extra reverence for Mary and Joseph and the feelings they must have felt on that Holy Night.

All is calm, all is bright. 
Round yon virgin, mother and child.
Holy infant so tender and mild.
Sleep in Heavenly peace, sleep in Heavenly peace.

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

Ben's shirt cracks me up. You have such a fun family!