Sunday, December 16, 2012

Cookies with Santa

This post is a lot about myself. Sorta odd I know, but I will turn it into a tribute to my mother.

When I was in Elementary School my mom was the PTO President. I certainly didn't really know what that meant at the time but I knew that my mom came to school with me all the time and that my baby sister (probably Olivia's age) Alex came too. Fast forward 25 years and here I sit with an elementary daughter of my own and as the Chairman of Family and Cultural Events at her school. Maybe it is because this is how I was raised, or maybe it is my public service passion getting the best of me, but either way I feel it is my obligation to support the school Isabelle attends and do my best to make it better.
Last year with it being both Belle and my first years in this arena I just sat on a few committees and helped out as needed, but when the time came around this year I got nominated for the Family Events title and although I knew it was a bit more than I wanted to bite off, I agreed. So far Livi and I have pulled off a "Lunch with Our Hero's" for the September 11th memorial and also the Houston Grand Opera performing Hansel and Gretel for 600 small children. Both events were wonderful and although taxing, worth my effort. None however were quite as exhausting as my biggest event of the year, Cookies with Santa, a Saturday event for every family at Creekside Forest Elementary.
It was definitely a family affair with Ben working overtime on my assignments and Olivia and Isabelle both staying late after school and going early other days. My mom even put on her PTO hat once more the day of the event and came with thank-you gifts for all of my committee members as well as spent the day wrangling Livi and Leo...who we happened to be babysitting for the day.
After hours planning, working and worrying the event took place and was a great success. Santa arrived on the firetruck while Ben drove his truck. 400+ kids sat on his lap and filled his big heavy bag with lists and personal notes. We made reindeer food and Christmas cards and we served over 800 cookies and little cartons of milk. The cafeteria was filled with holiday music and Christmas artwork from every kid in the school and there were no noticeable mis-steps. Of course you learn what you would do different next year and what you wouldn't change, but overall I am very pleased and very much relived that the event is in the history books.

Isabelle and I were the first ones in the school that Saturday morning and the last to leave Saturday afternoon. Our feet were tired and we desperately needed a Diet Dr. Pepper...and some apple juice. As climbed into the car Belle turned to me and said Mom, you were awesome. You raised that whole thing up all by yourself! And it was at that moment in time that I knew that it was all worth it and that was absolutely why I volunteered my time and energy. I used to be that little girl with the awesome mom too.

2 comments:

Colleen Christensen, Photographer said...

I love the girls skirts!!!!

Jaimie said...

You have a great mom and you most certainly are a great one yourself. You totally inspire me.