Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blue Bell

I am getting smarter. I have decided that setting easier to reach goals makes me feel more accomplished! So, instead of planning to run a marathon this year, which I would love to find the time to train and do someday, I set the goal to run a 10k instead. 1/4 of the race and 1/4 of the time/work! However, running in Texas is only enjoyable for a few months at the first of the year and then again for another month or so near the end, so I had to get right on it. Alee suggested we run the Blue Bell 10k in April and with Brenham just being an hour or so away from home and with ice cream waiting at the finish line, how could I refuse? We made it a family affair and my mom, Alee and I all ran the 10k together while Nick pushed Leo in the 5k and Isabelle rocked the 1 mile. Ben was on Olivia duty and Grandpa had the camera so we were all busy early Saturday morning. We were so proud of little Isabelle as she performed like an experienced runner and lined up alone in her race behind her age marker. They shot the gun and off she sprinted. She ran the whole mile without a break and even passed kids on the uphill turn. We were so thrilled that she finished in just over 10 minutes and took a couple minutes off her personal time while finishing 13th among her peers. Olivia was so excited for Belle and cheered and waved and probably would have run the whole distance with her if we would have let her. After a late start since we lost Alee before the race, the three of us ran a great 10k and enjoyed the beautiful Texas scenery all through the Bluebonnet Capital of the world. I'm pretty sure that I could run a marathon or more if I was running with my BFFs and chatting about everything under the sun as we go. I think for all of us Christensen's, running is our break from the day and we all look forward to our morning exercise. Just like promised, we were greeted at the finish line with every Blue Bell ice cream bar imaginable. I know I ate 2 or maybe 3 myself and I am quite certain that Ben's job of keeping up with Olivia was harder than my run and that he needed every single one of those ice cream bars he enjoyed. So check off that goal for the year, and on to the next one...potty training. Running a full marathon would definitely be an easier feat.

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

You Rock!!! You totally inspire me!

Emily said...

I'm thinking of running the Richmond, VA marathon in Nov. Want to join me? Your girls are adorable!

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

So very cool! Miss your awesome family!