I don't know who is the most in love with new baby Olivia, her mom, her dad or her big sister Isabelle?!
Let's start at the beginning...
Ever since I found out I was pregnant I was concerned that my labor and delivery would go too fast! I showed no signs of labor with Isabelle until the day I delivered her and my mom didn't even make it to the hospital in time for all of her deliveries, having one almost at home and then delivering in the ambulance. Dr. Theis knew my history and was "on alarm" as well so when I went into his office on Tuesday the 23rd of February and still showed no sign of imminent labor, he decided it was smartest to just meet him in labor/delivery on Thursday morning at 7:00am. Luckily knowing a plan a day in advance, Grammie was able to be here from Houston and be on "Belle duty" while Ben and I checked into the hospital.
I knew I was in trouble when the first thing the nurse said to me when she got me attached to all of the machines was aren't you feeling these contractions you are having now? I was definitely uncomfortable but I would never have headed to the hospital yet based on the pain and contractions I was feeling. I could tell by the look on Ben's face that he was glad we were already in the hospital because it was going to be a busy morning!
Obviously the baby had finally decided to arrive because at check-in I was already dilated to 4cm and was well on my way! I was blessed with a very kind nurse who skipped the normal hospital procedures and forced the anesthesiologist to visit me sooner than later as I was progressing very quickly and she and I were both hoping for a little pain-relief. As luck would have it, I was able to get an epidural but the needle veered to one side, so while my left side was able to escape most of the delivery pain, my right side took the brunt of it. (What a weird sensation!)
By now, Isabelle and Grammie had made it to the hospital and had come in multiple times to check on me! Isabelle was very hesitant to touch me at all as she was skeptical of my IV, heart monitor, etc. At about 11:10am I was dilated to 6cm and I asked my nurse when she thought I should call a friend to come pick up my toddler so that my mom could be in the delivery room for the birth. She said it was impossible to tell because some people would lay like this for hours and hours while others would move a bit quicker. However, I could tell labor was moving very quickly at this point and decided it might be best to make the Isabelle drop-off soon. Ben called our great friend Jaimie and she began to head to the hospital to pick up big sister for a few hours. While Ben was out in the waiting room getting Isabelle ready to go the baby decided she was ready to come NOW and made a giant move which set off alarms and had nurses running in to put oxygen on me and monitor the baby closer. I was now 8cm dilated and about 5 minutes later I was 10cm and ready to go!
Ben came back in shock only being gone a few minutes to find me hooked up to more machines and ready to deliver. The baby was serious about being born immediately and while Ben called my mom, the nurse called Dr. Theis in panic-mode. The nurse was holding the baby's head IN and trying to encourage me to breath but NOT PUSH. She and Ben could both see her cute little head and were commenting on her hair while I laid there praying the doctor would get there SOON! Jaimie pulled into the hospital moments later and my mom literally threw Isabelle to her and raced up the stairs and into my delivery room with Dr. Theis running in right behind her. He was shouting, just let me put on some gloves, and about 60 seconds later, Olivia Cosby was born at 11:30am on February 25th, 2010.
She weighed 7 lbs and 11 oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. She was perfect and pink and cried right away wondering what just happened?! She has the same brown hair Belle was born with and looks just like her sister in the face! After getting a scolding from both Ben and the nurse about if there is ever another Cosby baby, I MUST get to the hospital earlier, with or without pain, we finally made our way to recovery!
Ben picked Belle up (big thanks to Jaimie) as she was very excited to meet her new baby sister and we spent the rest of the day enjoying the new sweet baby in our family. The quick labor and delivery agreed with both me and Olivia and we were able to return home the next afternoon. We were lucky to have Grammie with us all week (and Grandpa and Aunt Alee and Uncle Nick for the weekend) and Olivia made the transition to life outside the womb with grace, sleeping and eating just as she should. Big sister too has been charming picking out what Livi wears each day and surrounding her with toys to play with. Olivia already posed for her first photo-shoot with www.jaimiehaleyphotography.com at 7 days old and we can't wait to see the newborn pictures of our sweet baby.
Of course with all good comes some bad and on the second night home from the hospital we were up all night with Belle and a stomach bug and then a terrible head cold all week long which left her grumpy and tired. Livi has already tried out her first prescription as well for conjunctivitis which apparently goes hand and hand with ear infections. (Can I just say NO right now? Isabelle did have it too when she was a newborn if there is any connection.) However, Belle is finally sniffle free and Livi is 14 days old today and is now weighing in at 8 lbs and 2 oz so all is well.
We are so grateful for little Olivia and know that she will be a great strength and blessing to our family! She is absolutely smothered with love!
**On a side note, a few weeks before Olivia was born I had a picture frame made for Ben's office that reads New Acquisition. It just seemed so appropriate!
8 comments:
I'm so glad you updated the blog. I feel like we have chatted and I am so sad we have missed it all. Holy fast labor. I could never have held a baby in. Owwww!
You're very blessed to have such an easy labor with both girls. Guess you were born to be a mom. :)
I am so happy for you guys to have your sweet baby girl here. She is so beautiful and perfect in every way. I've got to come back over and hold Olivia again. I miss her already. I could hold her all day long.
I love love love that picture at the bottom of the post of Belle's dolls in their strollers, high chair and bed, and Olivia right there with them. I laughed out loud when I saw that. I bet Belle is having the best time being a big sis.
Call me if you need anything.
Ben and Amy,
I am excited for you. Olivia is beautiful.
Shari
HOORAY!!! HOORAY!!! HOORAY!! You make beautiful babies!!!!
I'm glad she made it here safe and sound (and quick)! She is beautiful. I love her tutu too.
I'm so glad everything went well and that Olivia is here safe and sound. I have no doubt that she is being smothered with love and that Belle just loves having a baby sister! Can't wait to come home and meet her in July! =)
WOW and I thought I had precipitous labor! I am SOOOOO HAPPY for you, you are one of the "Great Moms" Much Much love!
Post a Comment